Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wal-Mart Goes Preppy

This is an article for next week, but I read it before hand so I figured I would comment on it now.  In this article it talks about how Wal-Mart changed their uniform from the old blue vests, to a blue polo and khakis.  They did this in their process of changing things to attract upscale shoppers.  I feel like it does put off a more professional and business casual look to it, but it also takes away one of the symbols that Wal-Mart has always been known for:  the blue vest with "How may I help you?" written on the back of it.  They want this to give Wal-Mart a whole new look in order to attract a whole different crowd of people and better compete with their rival, Target.  They may be producing a more attractive look for their employees, but I'm not so sure that it is really going to affect their business.  At one point it discussed a woman who complained about buying khakis, and I thought this was ridiculous.  In almost every job, you need to buy at least one part of your uniform.  Even if they give you a shirt, hat, etc., you almost always need to buy pants or shoes.  If you don't buy directly yourself, then it probably comes out of your first few paychecks.  For them to add that part in about them buying their own khakis, trying to make it a negative effect of the new dress code, I thought, was just pointless and dumb.  That's how it is at most jobs.

3 comments:

  1. I believe Wal-Mart may be trying to re brand their dress code for employees. This type of re branding is seen in logos all the time and it does not necessarily mean that Wal-Mart is trying to attract a new swath of customers/segment of the market. It may just be an attempt at avoiding desensitization on the part of the Wal-Mart employee. This allows customers to notice the employees more often than not, when a uniform has been in use for a while. This may or may not be the truth but it could be one explanation as to why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindy, I believe Wal-Mart is undergoing a lot of changes. For example, they are drifting away from the blue color of their stores and painting them more neutral colors like tan and brown and on the inside it is brighter colors.. I think that change in a company can be a good thing, but at the same time it could be a bad thing. A positive aspect with respect to color change is that the bright colors inside make it a happier environment and more appealing to the eye. A negative aspect is slimply people do not like change. I believe the uniform change is another positive aspect because Wal-Mart has been around for many years and everyone knows their motto is "How may I help you?" I think with a uniform change it will help people think that yes, the store has low prices, but at the same time it's still an upscale store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't Really think that changing their uniform will have much of an impact on Wal-Mart's revenues. They may attract some extra business by doing this but I think it will be negligible. Although, I do think it will be a pleasant change for both the customers and employees. Where I work we wear vests similar to the ones at Wal-Mart and I know I would much rather wear a nice polo shirt rather than what I have to wear now.

    ReplyDelete