Thursday, November 17, 2011

Rules for Radicals

I found this article very interesting because of the idea of the Haves and Have-nots. This truly applies to today's society and any time throughout history. The Haves are the ones who have control and it is vital for the have-nots to stand up for what they believe in. The right of revolution was even laid out in the Declaration of Independence. This form of protest has been completely acceptable since the beginning of our country; it is what our country was founded out, so how can it be so wrong? The Haves try to solidify their power through literature, but I feel that this is all interpretation. Words can sometimes be manipulated or misread to help support an argue. But of course anyone in power would want to make sure their power is recognized. The major time period that comes to mind while reading this is the 1960s. During this period many changes occurred from revolution, such as the Civil Rights Movement, Second Wave Feminism, and Gay and Lesbian Rights. Because of the people who protested, we as a nation were able to truly better equality. I mean all men are created equal right? All of these great changes sparked out of revolution and protest so how could this be such a bad thing for the have-nots? Even today there are many protests from small ones to larger ones like Occupy. The right to protest is vital in America because it helps us have a democracy that the people can have their voices heard. Without it where would we be? Great changes have come out of protest and revolutions in history, so I feel it is justified. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel I may have a disagreement or a comment about what your saying about the have's and the have nots. I agree that the right to protest is important but because of that the have nots will almost always attain their goal in the end. They will attain their goal because they are persistent and are able to withstand the resistance from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the point you made about people protesting to get what they is very true. Like the motivation ethic dealing with Abe Lincoln where he wanted to work on freeing the slaves but he had to do what the people that he worked for wanted. This could be a situation where people will protest to get what they want.

    ReplyDelete